In this drawing lesson we’ll show you how to draw a Stingray in 6 easy steps. This step by step lesson progressively builds upon each previous step until you get to the final rendering of a sting ray. Simply follow along with each step, drawing the portion shown in red for each step. Then, in just a few minutes you’ll have a simple and easy stingray drawing!
Before we begin the How To Draw a Stingray drawing lesson, here are some fun facts about stingrays you might find interesting, especially for kids.
- Stingrays have flat bodies and long whip-like tails with one or more venomous barbs near their tails used for defense.
- They glide just above the seafloor using powerful wing-like fins and can bury themselves under sand for camouflage.
- Stingrays locate prey like shellfish and small fish through an electrical sense in their snouts. They suck up food into a circular mouth.
- Some stingrays have distinctive markings like spots or stripes while others appear uniformly colored from above.
- These cartilaginous fish are found worldwide in tropical and temperate oceans near coral reefs and coastlines.
- Their skeletons are made of cartilage rather than bone, making their bodies flexible yet sturdy.
- Stingrays use their barbed tails defensively if stepped on or harassed but do not generally attack humans.
- Manta rays are the largest living stingray species, growing over 23 feet wide with wing-like fins and feeding filter plankton.
- Stingrays are an important part of ocean ecosystems, serving as both predators and prey.
- Some cultures revere stingrays as symbols of healing and protection due to their smooth flowing forms.
How To Draw a Stingray – Fun and Easy Step-by-Step Drawing Lesson
Step 1: Begin by drawing the first curve of the stingray’s body.
Step 2: Draw the other half of the oval shaped body.
Step 3: Draw the rest of the body.
Step 4: Sketch the start of the stingray’s tail and spike.
Step 5: Draw the eyebrows and the stinger on the tail.
Step 6: Finish by drawing the eye details.
Well done! Now that you’ve completed How To Draw a Stingray, considering adding some shading or coloring to make your sting ray look realistic! Use the picture below as a guide to shade or color your Stingray drawing.
You did it! Congratulations on drawing a Stingray! Your first try may not have gone as smoothly as you had hoped, but I’m sure after another attempt or two you will see a big improvement. The best way to learn how to draw a stingray is with plenty of practice!
Are you looking for another sea floor creature to draw? How about learning how to quickly and easily draw a CRAB?! Take a look here for another quick and easy drawing tutorial: How to Draw a Crab.