In this drawing lesson we’ll show you how to draw a Barnacle in 6 easy steps. This step by step lesson progressively builds upon each previous step until you get to the final rendering of a barnacle. Simply follow along with each step, drawing the portion shown in red for each step. Then, in just a few minutes you’ll have a simple and easy barnacle drawing!
Before we begin the How To Draw a Barnacle drawing lesson, here are some fun facts about barnacles you might find interesting, especially for kids.
- Barnacles are shellfish that permanently attach to rocks, ships, or whales and live submerged in oceans around the world.
- Their cone-shaped shells are made of calcium carbonate and are usually only 1-3 cm long but some deep sea species reach over 30 cm.
- Barnacles filter plankton and algae from ocean currents using feather-like legs that protrude from their shells when underwater.
- They cement their shells firmly to surfaces using a natural superglue within 24 hours of settling in favorable spots as larvae.
- Unable to move as adults, barnacles depend on ocean currents to deliver food and oxygen while attached in one place for life.
- Under their shells, their soft-bodies are divided into compartments with feathered legs used for feeding and breathing.
- Reproduction involves males releasing sperm packets to fertilize nearby females externally without physical contact.
- Barnacles live in dense clusters that can weigh down ships over time if not cleaned from hulls below the waterline.
- Some species form hard calcified plates that are shed annually while growing, leaving growth rings similar to trees.
- Though sedentary, their ability to colonize nearly any surface underwater makes barnacles highly successful crustaceans.
How To Draw a Barnacle – Easy Step-by-Step Drawing Lesson
Step 1: Begin by drawing the barnacle’s shell.
Step 2: Now you can draw the rest of the shell and some more legs.
Step 3: Draw the barnacle’s attachment muscle.
Step 4: Sketch in more legs.
Step 5: Add shell details.
Step 6: Now give your barnacle more detail and add the final legs.
Well done! Now that you’ve completed How To Draw a Barnacle, considering adding some shading or coloring to make your barnacle look realistic! Use the picture below as a guide to shade or color your barnacle drawing.
You did it! Congratulations on drawing a Barnacle! Your first try may not have gone as smoothly as you had hoped, but I’m sure after another attempt or two you will see a big improvement. The best way to learn how to draw a barnacle is with plenty of practice!
Are you looking for another ocean crustacean to draw? How about learning how to quickly and easily draw a Crab?! Take a look here for another quick and easy drawing tutorial: How to Draw a Crab.