In this drawing lesson we’ll show you how to draw a Penguin in 6 easy steps. This step by step lesson progressively builds upon each previous step until you get to the final rendering of the Penguin. The red lines in each step are the lines you should draw, the black lines are from previous drawing steps. In just a couple of minutes you’ll have a completed drawing of a penguin!
Here are some interesting facts about Penguins.
- There are a total of 18 species of penguins alive today in the world, five of which are endangered species.
- Though slow on land, penguins are the fastest type of bird in the water and also the deepest diving.
- Penguins typically spend 70% of their lives in the water.
- The average lifespan of a penguin in the wild is 15 to 20 years.
- Penguin species vary in weight from as light as 2 lbs (Fairy Penguin) to as heavy as 90 lbs (Emperor Penguin).
- Penguins nest in colonies. These colonies will sometimes number in the millions of birds.
Start drawing a penguin by following each of the 6 steps in sequence below, it’s super easy!
How to Draw a Penguin – 6 Easy Steps
Step 1: Begin by drawing the beak of the penguin
Step 2: Next, draw the penguin’s head
Step 3: Sketch the penguin body and base of the feet
Step 4: Draw the back of the penguin and tail feathers
Step 5: Sketch in the penguin’s wing and feet
Step 6: Now draw in the penguin’s eye and finishing touches to the beak, neck, back and toes
Well Done! Your completed drawing of a penguin should look similar to the picture below.
If you want to shade or color in your penguin drawing, here’s a real life picture of a penguin to help
You did it! Congratulations on drawing a PENGUIN! Your first try may not have gone as smoothly as you had hoped, but I’m sure after another attempt or two you will see a big improvement. The best way to learn how to draw a penguin is with practice.
Are you looking for another animal to draw? How about learning how to quickly and easily draw a mole?! Take a look here for another quick and easy drawing tutorial: How to Draw an Mole