In this drawing lesson we’ll show you how to draw a Dragonfly in 8 easy steps. This step by step lesson progressively builds upon each previous step until you get to the final rendering of the Dragonfly.
Here are some interesting facts about the Dragonfly you might find interesting.
- Even though dragonflies possess 6 legs, they are not capable of walking.
- Dragonflies are valuable predators that eat mosquitoes, and other small insects like flies, bees, ants, and butterflies.
- They are usually found around lakes, ponds, streams and wetlands because their nymphs are aquatic.
- Dragonflies can be found all over the world, with more than 5,000 described species.
- The males of some of its species are territorial, defending their domain from other males who enter.
How to Draw a Dragonfly – Easy 8-Step Drawing Lesson
Step 1: Draw the center of the dragonfly body using an oval shape.
Step 2: Add 2 more body sections or segments.
Step 3: Draw in the tail section.
Step 4: Draw the first 2 of the 4 wings.
Step 5: Draw the second set of wings.
Step 6: Add the eyes and draw in some wings details.
Step 7: Sketch the body details.
Step 8: Finalize the wings by drawing the webbing details, this finishes the How To Draw a Dragonfly.
Nicely done! You’ve finished the How To Draw a Dragonfly drawing lesson! Now, if you want to add color or shading to your drawing, take a look at the picture below and use it as a reference to make your dragonfly drawing more realistic and life-like.
You did it! Congratulations on drawing a DRAGONFLY! Your first try may not have gone as perfectly as you had hoped, but I’m sure after another attempt or two you will see a big improvement. The best way to learn how to draw a dragonfly is with practice…practice…practice!
Are you looking for another insect or bug to draw? How about learning how to quickly and easily draw a FLY?! Take a look here for another quick and easy drawing tutorial: How to Draw a Fly