In this drawing lesson we’ll show you how to draw an Oyster in 6 easy steps. This step by step lesson progressively builds upon each previous step until you get to the final rendering of an oyster. Simply follow along with each step, drawing the portion shown in red for each step. Then, in just a few minutes you’ll have a simple and easy oyster drawing!
Before we begin the How To Draw an Oyster drawing lesson, here are some fun facts about oysters you might find interesting, especially for kids.
- Oysters live in both freshwater and saltwater environments like estuaries, bayous and oceans attached to rocks, pilings or other hard surfaces.
- Their shells are made of calcium carbonate that protects soft inner bodies filtering plankton and algae from surrounding waters.
- Billions of tiny hairs called cilia move mucus across gills capturing food and oxygen while also cleaning shells.
- Pearls sometimes form when a parasite or particle gets trapped within shells and layers of calcium carbonate slowly build up around it.
- Oysters are cultivated commercially on oyster farms and are a popular delicacy often eaten raw on the half shell.
- Reproduction occurs externally when males release sperm to fertilize eggs from nearby females in the same area.
- They help improve water quality by filtering impurities and are considered a keystone species in estuaries.
- Certain oyster species live stacked on top of each other in dense clusters attached to hard substrates.
- Threats include pollution, overharvesting, and diseases which can severely impact oyster populations.
How To Draw an Oyster – Easy Step-by-Step Drawing Lesson
Step 1: Begin by drawing the oyster’s top shell.
Step 2: Now you can draw the bottom of the shell.
Step 3: Draw the lines to represent the inner edge of the shells.
Step 4: Sketch in more shell detail.
Step 5: Add the coveted oyster pearl in the middle.
Step 6: Now give your pearl some shimmer and shine.
Well done! Now that you’ve completed How To Draw an Oyster, considering adding some shading or coloring to make your oyster shell look realistic! Use the picture below as a guide to shade or color your oyster drawing.
You did it! Congratulations on drawing an Oyster! Your first try may not have gone as smoothly as you had hoped, but I’m sure after another attempt or two you will see a big improvement. The best way to learn how to draw an oyster is with plenty of practice!
Are you looking for another sea creature to draw? How about learning how to quickly and easily draw a King Crab?! Take a look here for another quick and easy drawing tutorial: How to Draw a King Crab.