In this drawing lesson we’ll show you how to draw a Turtle in 6 easy steps. This step by step lesson progressively builds upon each previous step until you get to the final rendering of a turtle. Simply follow along with each step, drawing the portion shown in red for each step. Then, in just a few minutes you’ll have a simple and easy turtle drawing!
Before we begin the How To Draw a Turtle drawing lesson, here are some fun facts about turtles you might find interesting, especially for kids.
- Turtles have a shell that protects their body and limbs but allows their head and limbs to extend outside for breathing, feeding, and swimming.
- Their shells are made of bony plates called scutes that fit tightly together and are covered by a horny skin.
- Turtles live in aquatic, terrestrial, and semiaquatic habitats around the world like oceans, rivers, ponds, and forests.
- Webbed feet or flippers help turtles swim while claws aid walking and digging on land or shell.
- Most eat plants, fish, worms or insects depending on species using beaks adapted for crunching or grasping.
- Females lay eggs in shallow nests on land which baby turtles hatch from months later on their own.
- Their shells come in many shapes, sizes, colors and patterns unique to different species for camouflage.
- Turtles are important predators in ecosystems and help disperse seeds after eating fruits in some areas.
- Some turtles live over 100 years in captivity with lifespans in the wild depending on threats.
- Sadly, many turtle species face endangerment due to habitat loss, pollution, poaching, and vehicle collisions.
How To Draw a Turtle – Easy Step-by-Step Drawing Lesson
Step 1: Begin by drawing the turtle’s head.
Step 2: Now you can draw the turtle’s shell.
Step 3: Draw your turtle some legs.
Step 4: Sketch in some of the shell detail.
Step 5: Add more shell details, a tail, and claws.
Step 6: Now give your turtle a face and some personality.
Well done! Now that you’ve completed How To Draw a Turtle, considering adding some shading or coloring to make your little friend look realistic! Use the picture below as a guide to shade or color your turtle drawing.
You did it! Congratulations on drawing a Turtle! Your first try may not have gone as smoothly as you had hoped, but I’m sure after another attempt or two you will see a big improvement. The best way to learn how to draw a turtle is with plenty of practice!
Are you looking for another lake or water animal to draw? How about learning how to quickly and easily draw an ANGELFISH?! Take a look here for another quick and easy drawing tutorial: How to Draw an Angelfish.