In this drawing lesson we’ll show you how to draw a Piranha in 6 easy steps. This step by step guide progressively builds upon each previous step until you get to the final rendering of a toothy piranha!
Before we begin the How To Draw a Piranha drawing lesson, here are some fun facts about these hungry little fish you might find interesting, especially for kids.
- Piranhas are essentially dinosaur fish, with their ancestors dating back 25 million years ago.
- The word piranha translates to “tooth fish” in the Brazilian language of Tupi.
- Piranha teeth have adapted to suit their meat eating diet and their teeth are smaller but very similar to sharks’ teeth.
- Piranhas are generally harmless to humans and large mammals, unless there is an open wound or severe injury with blood that the piranhas can smell.
- Piranhas make barking sounds. Yep, they do. They’ve been known to bark when caught by fisherman or when they are trying to show their dominance over other fish.
How To Draw a Piranha – Quick and Easy Step-by-Step Drawing Lesson
Step 1: Begin by drawing the piranha’s lower jaw.
Step 2: Draw the back and belly of the fish.
Step 3: Sketch in the tail! It looks like a sideways heart.
Step 4: Draw the piranha’s fins.
Step 5: Keep drawing fins! The dorsal fin and the lower belly fins.
Step 6: Draw in face details and make sure to draw the piranha’s big, sharp, nasty teeth
Well Done, now that you’ve completed How To Draw a Piranha, considering adding some shading or coloring to make your Piranha look realistic! Use the picture below as a guide to shade or color your toothy fish friend! This is a red-bellied piranha, so make sure the belly is a beautiful reddish scarlet color.
You did it! Congratulations on drawing a Piranha Your first try may not have gone as perfectly as you had hoped, but I’m sure after another attempt or two you will see a big improvement. The best way to learn how to draw a piranha is with practice…practice…practice!
Are you looking for another fun fish to draw? How about learning how to quickly and easily draw an ANGELFISH! Take a look here for another quick and easy drawing tutorial: How to Draw an Angelfish