In this drawing lesson we’ll show you how to draw a Pelican in 6 easy steps. This step by step lesson progressively builds upon each previous step until you get to the final rendering of the simple Pelican.
Before we begin the How To Draw a Pelican drawing lesson, here are some fun facts about pelicans you might find interesting, especially for kids.
- Pelicans primarily eat fish, but they also eat other birds, crustaceans, and turtles.
- Contrary to popular belief, pelicans do not store food in the pouch of their bills.
- Pelicans have four toes and they are connected by webbing to aid in swimming and paddling.
- The pelican family of birds is over 30 MILLION years old.
- Some pelican species hunt in groups, aiding in capturing swimming fish for food.
How To Draw a Pelican – Easy Step-by-Step Drawing Guide
Step 1: Begin by drawing the head of the pelican.
Step 2: Draw the very long pelican bill.
Step 3: Now you can draw the entire main body of the bird.
Step 4: Draw the pelican’s bill pouch, tail and first leg.
Step 5: Sketch more of the tail and add some foot detail.
Step 6: Finally, draw in the wing, eye, and 2nd leg/foot!
Well Done, now that you’ve completed How To Draw a Pelican, considering adding some shading or coloring to make your pelican look realistic! Use the picture below as a guide to shade or color your pelican drawing.
You did it! Congratulations on drawing a Pelican! Your first try may not have gone as perfectly as you had hoped, but I’m sure after another attempt or two you will see a big improvement. The best way to learn how to draw a Pelican. is with practice…practice…practice!
Are you looking for another bird to draw? How about learning how to quickly and easily draw an OWL?! Take a look here for another quick and easy drawing tutorial: How to Draw an Owl