In this drawing lesson we’ll show you how to draw a Tortoise in 6 easy steps. This step by step lesson progressively builds upon each previous step until you get to the final rendering of a slow moving tortoise. Simply follow along with each step, drawing the portion shown in red for each step. Then, in just a few minutes you’ll have a simple and easy tortoise drawing!
Before we begin the How To Draw a Tortoise drawing lesson, here are some fun facts about tortoises you might find interesting, especially for kids.
- Tortoises have dome-shaped shells called carapaces that fully enclose their limbs and tail for protection.
- Their claws are blunt compared to claws of turtles that live partly in water. Tortoises walk on all four legs.
- Different species of tortoises vary in size from 4 inches to over 200 pounds with diverse shells, colors and patterns.
- Tortoises are herbivores, eating grasses, fruits, and vegetables found in their habitats like forests, scrublands or deserts.
- They can live over 100 years in some species. Longevity is helped by slow metabolisms adapted for arid conditions.
- Most tortoises dig burrows or use natural shelters for nesting and hiding from extreme weather and predators.
- Many tortoises communicate through scent marks and rumbles or grunts, especially during breeding seasons.
- Some tortoise species are threatened by habitat destruction, wildfires or overcollection for the pet trade.
- Their slow movements and armored shells made tortoises a symbol of steadiness in some cultures and religions.
- Despite their armor, tortoises remain vulnerable to dangers like dehydration, starvation or overgrazing of food sources.
How To Draw a Tortoise – Easy Step-by-Step Drawing Lesson
Step 1: Begin by drawing the tortoise’s huge shell.
Step 2: Draw the head and feet of the tortoise.
Step 3: Now you can draw the chin.
Step 4: Draw the claws on two feet.
Step 5: Sketch in the underside and tail of the big tortoise.
Step 6: Draw the details of the shell.
Well done! Now that you’ve completed How To Draw a Tortoise, considering adding some shading or coloring to make your shelled friend look realistic! Use the picture below as a guide to shade or color your Tortoise drawing.
You did it! Congratulations on drawing a Tortoise! Your first try may not have gone as smoothly as you had hoped, but I’m sure after another attempt or two you will see a big improvement. The best way to learn how to draw a tortoise is with plenty of practice!
Are you looking for another fun animal to draw? How about learning how to quickly and easily draw a Chameleon?! Take a look here for another quick and easy drawing tutorial: How to Draw a Chameleon.