In this drawing lesson we’ll show you how to draw a Panther in 8 easy steps. This step by step lesson progressively builds upon each previous step until you get to the final rendering of a Panther. Simply follow along with each step, drawing the portion shown in red for each step. Then, in just a few minutes you’ll have a final animal drawing!
Before we begin the How To Draw a Panther drawing lesson, here are some fun facts about the puma (another name for a panther) you might find interesting, especially for kids.
- Panthers have exceptional eyesight and an advanced sense of smell.
- Black panthers are really just dark leopards or jaguars with black pigment in their fur and coats.
- Panthers are really good swimmers! Common belief is that cats don’t like water…well, panthers love water!
- Panthers hunt using stealth and the cover of darkness, meaning they are primarily nocturnal.
- Black panthers can weight up to 300 lbs, although most are usually 150 – 200 pounds.
How To Draw a Panther – Easy Step-by-Step Drawing Guide
Step 1: Begin by drawing the puma’s ears and top of head.
Step 2: Draw the chin and lower portion of the face.
Step 3: Now you can draw the first part of the body and back leg.
Step 4: Draw the first front leg of the panther.
Step 5: Sketch the top of the back and the underbelly.
Step 6: Draw in the other front leg and start the nose.
Step 6: Add detail to the nose and draw in the tail.
Step 6: Draw in the final eye and face detail, along with short lines to show the toes.
Well Done! Now that you’ve completed How To Draw a Panther, considering adding some shading or coloring to make your black panther look realistic! Use the picture below as a guide to shade or color your puma drawing – look at those yellow eyes!
You did it! Congratulations on drawing a Panther! Your first try may not have gone as smoothly as you had hoped, but I’m sure after another attempt or two you will see a big improvement. The best way to learn how to draw a Panther is with practice…practice…practice!
Are you looking for another BIG WILD CAT to draw? How about learning how to quickly and easily draw a Lion?! Take a look here for another quick and easy drawing tutorial: How to Draw a Lion. You also may enjoy drawing a TIGER!